Administrative Procedures of the IETF Trust
Amended and adopted 4-17-2008
Terms and abbreviations are used as defined in the Trust Agreement.
- The Trustees shall hold at least three meetings each calendar year to administer the Trust and its assets, as face to face meetings, as teleconferences at which all participants can speak and hear each other, or as a combination.
- The Trustees shall select one Trustee to serve as the chair of the Trust.
- Trustees eligible to serve as Trust Chair are the NomCom, IESG, and IAB appointees to the IAOC.
- The term of the Trust Chair shall be one year from the time of selection or the remaining time of his or her tenure as a Trustee, whichever is less. An individual may serve any number of terms as Chair, if selected by the Trustees.
- The Chair serves at the pleasure of the Trustees and may be removed from that position at any time by the Trustees.
- The Chair shall convene and preside over meetings of the Trustees but shall have no other powers or authority beyond his or her powers as a Trustee. If the Trust Chair is not available, then any other Trustee may convene or preside over meetings of the Trustees in the absence of the Trust Chair.
- The meetings shall be conducted according to Roberts Rules of Order.
- The Trust Agreement defines the quorum and voting rules for a meeting. Motions passed by electronic means between meetings shall be confirmed by a vote at the next possible meeting.
- The Trustees shall from time to time appoint a Secretary, who shall record and publish minutes of the meetings.
- The Trustees shall from time to time appoint a Legal Counsel to the Trust.
- If necessary, the IETF Administrative Director shall serve as Treasurer of the Trust and shall arrange for an annual audit and for tax filings.
- The IETF Administrative Director is authorized to execute decisions of the Trustees on behalf of the Trust.
- The Trustees shall not receive any compensation (apart from reimbursement of expenses) for their services as Trustees.
- The Trust shall be guided by IETF process documents, decisions of the IETF leadership, and IETF consensus when licensing use of its intellectual property in accordance with the Trust Agreement. The Trust shall not normally charge royalties for such use. The Trustees may decide to institute royalties if some specific commercial usage of IETF IPR is requested that does not match IETF expectations of fair use. The Trustees shall follow the IETF's wishes in this area.
- Trustees shall at all times act in a disinterested manner and consider only the benefit of the IETF community as a whole in discussions and decisions. The Trustees shall promptly disclose any material conflict of interest and recuse themselves from related decisions. All the Trustees' decisions shall be subject to the community review process defined in Section 3.5 of BCP 101 for IAOC decisions.
- The Trustees are current members of the IAOC. When a member leaves the IAOC for whatever reason, he or she ceases to be a Trustee. When a new member joins the IAOC, he or she becomes a Trustee upon his or her agreement in writing to fulfil the duties of a Trustee, as specified in the Trust Agreement.
- If at any time the IAOC ceases to exist, or there are fewer than three Trustees, then the IESG, or its successor, shall appoint Trustees in accordance with Article VI of the Trust Agreement.
- These procedures may be amended by a motion passed by a meeting of the Trustees, as long as they remain consistent with the terms of the Trust Agreement. Substantive amendments will be posted in advance for comment from the IETF community.